Set up a fun hair salon dramatic play area for your kindergarten and preschool kids! They will love doing each others hair and makeup while developing oral language and social skills. This hairdresser and beauty salon set is the perfect compliment to your community helpers unit!
Imaginative Play is a great way to develop oral language skills, cooperation, content vocabulary and social skills in your early childhood classroom! Inside this packet, you’ll find posters, labels, printable fill-in forms and more!
- Several pages of play set up inspiration
- Suggested materials to collect
- Instructions for making mop head styling props
- Hair Salon and Beauty Salon bunting
- Open and Closed signs
- ‘Welcome to the hair salon’ sign
- ‘Welcome to the beauty salon sign’
- ‘Opening times’ sign
- ‘Worker of the month’ signs with boy and girl versions
- ‘Update your look’ sign
- ‘Please wait here to be served’ sign
- ‘Sit back and relax sign’
- ‘Please enjoy a cup of tea or coffee’ sign
- Labels for equipment (for example, brush, comb, spray bottle, accessories, towels, capes, hair dye, clipper, rollers etc)
- Blank labels for any additional equipment
- Coloured hair dye labels (black, brown, blonde and orange)
- Hair dye, hair gel, hair spray, shampoo and conditioner labels for empty bottles
- ‘Hair Products’ sign
- ‘Pick a nail colour’ sign in US and UK spelling
- ‘$10 manicure’ folded sign
- ‘Today’s Special’ sign with 8 various special cards (for example, FREE shave with every trim)
- ‘Pick a style’ and ‘Pick a length’ signs
- Short, Medium and Long signs for boys and girls
- 10 girl hair cut and style graphics
- 8 boy hair cut and style graphics
- ‘Style Guide’ cover to make a booklet with graphics for boys and girls
- Price list with prices filled in OR blank in US and UK spelling
- ‘How to wash hair’ poster (two variations)
- ‘How to cut hair’ poster
- ‘Welcome to the beauty counter’ poster
- Hair Salon Punch Cards
- Job tags – Hairdresser, Receptionist, Barber, Beautician, Customer
- Customer Appointments cover (for attaching to manila folder)
- Appointments booking form
- B&W price tags for attaching to products for sale
- Services Required black line master
- Hair Cut + Colour Service form for boys and girls
- Hair Style Request form for boys and girls
- Hair Salon Receipt black line masters
- Hair Salon vocabulary mat
Please be sure to reinforce the fact that this is a pretend hair salon. We did not add real scissors to our hair salon. I explained that it was a PRETEND salon and that only REAL hairdressers can cut hair with REAL scissors. We used our pretend finger scissors, though our little learners were very happy to style and do makeup instead! We cannot and will not be held accountable for little learners that want to use real scissors. Supervision is a must as with all Dramatic Play.
Your little learners will develop early reading and writing skills as they play in the Hair Salon! They will begin to recognise familiar words and extend their vocabulary as they become familiar with the labels.
This Hair Salon set is also a wonderful way to support a unit on community helpers! They will develop early measurement skills as they role play with money and measure hair lengths. It’s also a wonderful way to develop those fine motor skills required to learn to write as they use their small finger muscles to operate the different equipment and put hair clips and ties in hair.
Inside, you’ll find a list of suggested materials and set up ideas so all you need to do is print and go – the hard work has been done for you!
Happy playful learning!